Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cookie Time

Okay so those of you who know me know I am a fat kid at heart, no joke - like bowls of frosting with cookies to dip in it fat kid. I cant help it. I just LOVE sweets. No this post isnt about girl scout cookies, even though it is that time... Luckily I have refrained so far and ordered ZERO boxes. Last year I ate over 10 boxes in two weeks.

In honor of Valentines Day I made sugar cut out cookies! And because my sister requested them. They aren't the stale hard sugar cookies that you get in the store, they are soft and yummy! My mom has been making these since I was little and I think the recipe came from her mom but I am going to share it with you today because they are literally the BEST cookies ever. Even Z likes them and he isn't a sweets kinda guy :)

Cut Out Cookie Recipe:
From The Kitchen of My Mom

1 1/8 cup margarine
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
3 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt

Mix all of the ingredients together with either a hand mixer or the KitchenAid - I used my kitchen aid as the dough is thick and takes some muscle to mix together. MUCH easier in the KitchenAid.

Once they are all mixed together I put the dough in the fridge for a few hours or even over night - it makes it easier to roll out. So first preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Then take a handful of dough and roll out on a floured cutting board. Roll the dough until it is a little thinner than 1/4 inch. And cut out! This is the most fun part because you can make any shape depending on the season!

Once the oven is preheated place the cookies on an un-greased cookie sheet - they don't get much bigger so you can place them close together.
Bake for 6-8 minutes.


Once they are golden brown take them out and place on a baking rack to cool. Once they are completely cool I laid them all out on parchement paper and began to make the frosting.

The frosting is just a basic powder sugar frosting. The recipe doesn't have exact measurements but here is what I used:
A small bag of powder sugar
3 tsp. margarine at room temperature
A touch of salt
1 tsp of Vanilla
Warmed Milk

Add all of the ingredients together and add the milk slowly until the frosting is a spreadable consistency. I added food coloring for fun :)

Then Frost!
Here they are:

Trust me you will not be able to eat just one.
<3

2 comments:

  1. I've been using this cookie recipe for years. Finally thought to comment. These cookies are awesome!

    ReplyDelete