Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Refinishing the Legs

Hi! Here is the second part in my reupholstering adventure! I am so excited to share this with you all because I am so excited with how this turned out!! Its like getting an A+ on a test you thought you would never pass! :)

This part is Refinishing the legs. It was by far the EASIEST part in this. Incase you missed it you can check out the first step here in: Love Seat Reupholstering.
The steps all together are 


Once the loveseat was down to its base:
 I sanded the legs very lightly with 320 grit sand paper. I sanded by hand since they are curved and pretty worn out from being so old - there was not much varnish. There were a few paint stains that I wanted to sand out. 
Before:

The stain I used was AMAZING! It was the General Finishes in Java - Gel Stain. I was unable to find it locally so I ordered it on Amazon. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be as thick as it was - but its really like hair gel thick. I applied with a cloth and rubbed it in until it was even. I only did two coats and finished with a spray polyurethane. 

 The finished product: The dark really makes the wood look rich and new.
[Sorry for the poor lighting]

Mission accomplished!

2 comments:

  1. Newest follower here! I found you through the Sunday link up!
    Cute blog, I can’t wait to read more!

    -meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That "Java" color is great on those legs! Kudos to you for taking on this project--I'd love to refinish or reupholster a piece of furniture. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done!

    Thanks for linking up with us at the Super Sunday Sync and following :) Hope to see you again next week! Oh, and I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete