Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

DIY Custom Soap Dispensers!

This is my 100th post! Woohoo! 

This past few months, which feels like forever,  I have been working on little things here and there to reorganize and redecorate our house because its not quite right. I almost have our bathroom complete - I just need another piece of decor for the wall to finish it off! We have a TINY bathroom, our house was built in the 50's and the counter space is very limited. I got tired of seeing this:

Mis-matched bottles for our face and hand soap. It always looked messy to me. 

Then one night I was laying in bed - brilliant ideas always come at that time right??
And I thought I should just get nice glass dispensers and customize them so I know which soap is which! 
**Cue the Martha Stewart Etching Cream**

I decided to go with the Martha Etching Cream even though it was still ($13 and twice the cost of the other brand after my 50% off coupon) BUT Martha never disappoints! 
I also picked up two matching glass dispensers in different sizes from target - they had a light turquoise color to them which I liked however I learned after I started this process that is a coating on the outside not colored glass SO I had to do the etching cream twice. The first time to remove the coating and the second to etch the glass. 
I used my Silhouette Machine to cut out my lettering of [hand] and [face]:

Then I applied the cream for about 30 minutes the first time and had to remove it and scrape off the lifting coating an then reapplied for another 30.


Then cleaned off again and here is the result:



I am super happy with them and Z likes them too! They give our soaps a home and always look neat!


7 comments:

  1. love the etched glass look.. they turned out so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!
    Thanks for linking up at the friday chaos hop

    Have a great weekend
    Kerry www.ohsoamelia.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. I need to pin this to my Cameo board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cool. I am totally pinning this right now. Thanks for linking up this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up at #thebiggestlinkpartyever! I love your project and am featuring you today on my blog. Hope you have a chance to swing by! http://www.andreaarchambault.blogspot.com/2013/04/link-party-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are super cute! I love glass etching too and I use amour etch, seems like both work well. I actually only leave mine on for 2-5 minutes, and did you know you can reuse it? I wipe it off with the foam brush and put it back in the jar! It really will last forever :)

    Brie - Breezy Pink Daisies

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty!! You're giving me some inspiration to get rid of my random bottles in the bathroom for pretty ones. Found you via Keep Calm...

    Angela

    ReplyDelete